The title kind of describes my ambivalent feelings on the lecture this evening- where semiotics (or the term anyway) has been introduced to me, and I will have to study it further. My previous knowledge of futurism was not up to par as the way things were put together here, and I have come to realize it had a more just reason amongst its anarchy than I had thought. I think futurism can be done still today, with the future always ahead of us, there is no reason why we cannot anticipate contemporary design's potential in our future. Needless to say, you cannot lose in following Bernhard's "less is more" manifesto, considering its continuous implications even in today's world. Reminding me that design is not limited to any one medium was personal, and while I tend to struggle and fight the light box I sit redundantly and reluctantly infront of, it should be a goal I set to utilize those other mediums I am so fond of... combining, etc. Never stop experimenting. The plakatstil should be a term easily defined once the basics and themes, evolutions, etc are understood within graphic design and its history. It's fascinating realizing that different styles can not only define the period of time and place (in the world) where the poster and message is from, but its surprising to see that the style immitates the patriotism or national beliefs. I hate politics, and until Obama I would have never dreamt of wanting to participate in any propaganda or political imagery. But, returning to the poster style being reminiscent of its country's (nation's) views (of war and global activity)- it works in distinguishing (in a hierarchal or categorial way) the countries and essence of each their own. Is it able to tell intentions by propaganda?
I am a big fan of the combination of letterforms and imagery juxtaposed to intruigue, but I would have to stand by german political posters over the american realism. There is a certain organization and unity, cleanliness and natural (and consistent) repetition through out. I am glad to hear that my love for poetry need not be separated from my art form, graphic design including typography. These examples were a wealth of visual information for me for tonight, to bring into my next work, constantly building up with familiarity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Carinda-
ReplyDeleteyour writing is very thoughtful and I read it with pleasure. You make good points and its well thought through-
You can write as much as you want- point out the key messages then write on...
all your essays are a high 5 for 20 points but I can find your discourse today- you need to get that up so its not late.