Tonight we saw a continuation of the quest for universal language of form, with potential to cross over multi-lingual communication barriers; continuing from the early constructivist movements then bauhaus, we now move to isotypes. The "pinheads" of unambiguous expression allowed any individual whether semi-literate or of another native language the visual organization of complex information portrayed in its bare simplicity. Pictographs were certainly accessible, and the SOLUTION for information design in such an information age. "Design systems become a pervasive metaphor for design," basically extracting any expressive intentions or qualities out of graphic design. **PIXEL PUSHERS. With technological advances, and growth of informational content, there was a focus on information management, with more corporate viewers or clients in mind for things such as catalogs of information. Graphic design seemed to require three main categories of functional parts in order to be successful: optical interest, or the aesthetic handling of image or object that catches the eye; visual simplicity in reading and in contents (or elements on the piece of design); and continuity, where a reader can better understand organized information in a sequence best fit for its content. But to note that Dwiggins was the first to use both "Graphic" and "Design" as counterparts.
I appreciate Herbert Bayer's first green attempt over all. I see a positive in the bad things of Hitler and fascism, and that is the beauty and blessing of the exodus of great artists, designers and architects to new york. Otherwise America's ego would have never gotten so huge, and in the greater span of things, Obama would not have become president? Maybe that is a stretch, anyhow... Lester Beal, Paul Rand and their combination of styles (modernist and american) were the cause for American's developing some tasteful sense in design. I am THANKFUUULLLLLL for Alexey Brodovitch's lead as art director for Harper's Bazaar, because i simply love it. I feel that despite Brodovitch implementing the discipline of design and setting standards (for photography) in editorial design, he encouraged experimentation and pushing new ideas, really developing them in trials. I like to believe the fashion magazines are like the fine art of graphic design, which is what draws myself and many other viewers as well as designers to its pleasure.
I didn't know much about Swiss design apart from viewing it unknowingly previous to this class, but I love it. It actually feels like poetry on the page, despite its "rational" persona. I look forward to duplicating a few layouts, studying its beautiful kinetic achievements and measurement in design, so calculated and reminiscent of what can make architecture so timeless and visually and physically balanced and successful.
i am oh so tired of seeing pinhead pictographs- although effective and well communicative, i will try to use them only if i am cornered into it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

....
ReplyDeleteIM CARINDA ROESTORF BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT NO PICTOGRAPHS FOR ME THANKS! BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT!!